Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon or its characters.  I also don't own ABBA's music.

Author's Notes: After watching that Pokemon episode where Misty was the star of the underwater ballet in the Cerulean Gym, and going retro (ex. listening to my parents' ABBA CD), I have come up with another songfic.  Here, Ash and Misty are all grown up, and yes, they've already gone their separate ways.  Just read the fic and enjoy!

Super Trouper

Misty sat nervously in her dressing room inside of the Cerulean Gym, thinking.  It had been years since she had returned home.  But it turns out that as soon as she came back, her sisters had convinced her to once again become the star in their underwater ballet.

For a while, she was happy, really happy, just to go out, swim around with all the other water-type pokemon and play a part that she enjoyed.  But soon, it seemed that she was like a goldfish swimming aimlessly in a bowl.

Then, she discovered that she could sing.  Her voice serenading sweetly, she now performed underwater with the breath mask on, so that she could sing instead of having one of her sisters narrate the scene.

She had achieved happiness again, and more people came to see the show.  With the money they made off the tickets, they expanded the arena, to accommodate more people.

But now, she felt empty and drained.  She dreaded going back out there, being blinded time and time again by the spotlights over the stage.

She sat in front of her dresser, staring at the envelope in her hands.  Sure, she had always gotten fan mail, but this letter was special.  The envelope had the picture of a smiling Pikachu on the back, and was sealed with the same smiling Pikachu sticker.

Misty hoped that the author of the letter would be who she hoped it would be.  After all these years, he seemed like a distant memory of happier and simpler days.

She opened the envelope and took out the folded paper inside.  She opened it up to only see more Pikachus bordering the page.  Misty smiled to herself.  After deeply reading the letter, he said that he would try to visit one of her shows, if she had the time for him.  And it was signed, Ash Ketchum, along with a paw print from his companion.

A knock at the door knocked Misty out of her reminisce.  Her sister, Daisy, stuck her head through the door.  "Like, Misty, we're getting ready for the show.  Why don't you run through some practice scales before the show, okay?"

"Yes, Daisy.  I'll warm up," Misty replied absent-mindedly.  As soon as her sister closed the door, Misty turned on the radio resting on the dresser.

"Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me,
 But I won't feel blue,
 Like I always do,
 'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you."

Misty had heard of this oldies song, knowing the rest of the words, she started to sing along with the bouncy and chiming melody.

"I was sick and tired of everything
 When I called you last night from Glasgow.
 All I do is eat and sleep and sing,
 Wishing every show was the last show.
  (Wishing every show was the last show)
 So imagine I was glad to hear you're coming,
  (Glad to hear you're coming)
 Suddenly I feel all right,
  (And suddenly it's gonna be)
 And it's gonna be so different
 When I'm on the stage tonight...

"Tonight the
 Super Trouper lights are gonna find me,
 Shining like the sun.
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Smiling, having fun,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Feeling like a number one.
 Tonight the
 Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me,
 But I won't feel blue,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Like I always do,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you."

*Knock knock* Surprised, Misty turned off the radio and whipped around to face the door.  "Yes?"

A young stagehand stuck her head through the door.  "Miss Misty, it's almost curtain time," was all she said before she disappeared.

Misty sighed as she checked her long red hair, costume and fins, and left to greet the awaiting audience.  But this time, she felt a hope in her heart that a certain someone would be in the audience.


Throughout the show, Misty scanned the audience, looking for one familiar face among the crowd.  But there were too many people.  As the lights dimmed for intermission, Misty felt empty once again.

She sat in the clear tank, or "stage", reclining on a rock, letting the rest of the song play in her head.

"Facing twenty thousand of your friends,
 How can anyone be so lonely?
 Part of a success that never ends,
 Still I'm thinking about you only.
  (Still I'm thinking about you only)
 There are moments when I think I'm going crazy,
  (Think I'm going crazy)
 But it's gonna be alright.
  (You'll soon be changing everything)
 Everything will be so different
 When I'm on the stage tonight...

"Tonight the
 Super Trouper lights are gonna find me,
 Shining like the sun.
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Smiling, having fun,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Feeling like a number one.
 Tonight the
 Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me,
 But I won't feel blue,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Like I always do,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you."

As the curtain arose, and Misty focused on the show and faced the audience again.


As the arena emptied, and Misty still hadn't seen him.  Defeated, she was ready to swim out of the tank and go back stage.  She dove underneath the water and swam around the watery set with Horsea, Stamie, Staryu, and the rest of her water pokemon keeping her company.

She stared at the fake ocean floor as she swam in circles.  But a faint tapping at the side of the tank caught her attention.

Misty's heart skipped a beat as she turned her head to see both of them!  Ash, looking all grown up, and Pikachu, looking no older than the day she met him, had their faces pressed up against the clear wall of the tank, and were waving and smiling at her.

Frantically, and happily, she swam to the surface.  He tried to clamber to the top of the tank so that he could greet her.  The rest of that song played in her head as she went to him.

"So I'll be there when you arrive,
 The sight of you will prove to me I'm still alive.
 And when you take me in your arms,
 And hold me tight,
 I know it's gonna mean so much tonight..."

How funny, she was swimming to the lights instead of trying to get away from them.  Ash picked Misty up as she burst out of the water to the surface.  They hugged each other, feeling complete.

"Tonight the
 Super Trouper lights are gonna find me,
 Shining like the sun.
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Smiling, having fun,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Feeling like a number one.
 Tonight the
 Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me,
 But I won't feel blue,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 Like I always do,
  (Sup-p-per Troup-p-per)
 'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you."

THE END

Additional Author's Notes: It was time that I got back to Pokemon, since my first fanfic was about Brock (Heart of Lead, Heart of Gold Part 1, Part 2).  I hope that you enjoyed reading this songfic.  Please tell me what you think, I enjoy the comments and the criticism.