Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or its characters, they belong to Sunrise.  And the song "Sour Girl" belongs to Stone Temple Pilots.

Author's Notes: First off, I just got the MuchMusic Big Shiny Tunes 5 compilation album, and I just love it!  Anyways, this is a songfic/vidfic.  I'll give you the initial story, and then the vidfic at the end.  It's like watching the show, and then the music video.  A quick summary would be 1xR then 1x2.

Sour Girl

It was Sunday.  And it was that time of the year when you didn't know if it was summer or fall.  The weather between the two seasons kept switching back and forth.

Heero didn't know why Relena would want to go out for a walk in the park in such unpredictable weather.  She said that it was summer, but as soon as they entered the park, it was autumn.

But there they were, walking down the dirt path with the sky heavily clouded, giving everything a drab and grey look.  He had his arms wrapped around her shoulders, and hers were around his waist.  The wind began to blow fiercely, and Relena had to snuggle closer into Heero for warmth.

They didn't even know why they even went out anymore.  They were together for a while after the war, and everything seemed to fall right into place.  But a while later, things didn't seem to fit anymore and it all began to fall apart.

She turned away, what was she looking at?
She was a sour girl the day that she met me.
Hey, what are you looking at?
She was a happy girl the day that she left me.

At the same time, as they strolled along aimlessly down the path, they thought of breaking up, and trying to make it as mutual and clean as possible.

The clouds parted slowly, letting some sunlight rain down on them for just a moment, as if saying, "Go ahead.  Do it.  You'll be glad you did it.  It's for the best."

But they shook off the thoughts, thinking of the other's happiness at stake if such an act were to be committed.

She turned away, what was she looking at?
She was a sour girl the day that she met me.
Hey, what are you looking at?
She was a happy girl when she left me.

Both of them pondered over how much they had changed since they first met.

Relena Peacecraft Dorlain was transformed from a spoiled, obsessive, and air headed brat to a young woman who was sure of herself and could actually take some heavy-duty responsibilities.  Sure, there were traces of the young girl that she was, but they rarely ever surfaced now.  She thought she'd feel special around Heero, and she did, but not in the "in-love" kind of special. 

Heero Yuy had changed from an unfeeling killing machine to a stoic young man.  But old habits die hard.  It was still hard for him to comprehend his feelings, and feelings love and friendship were the most frustrating of all; there a nagging feeling deep withing him that told him that he and Relena were meant to be, but not in that sense.

It was hard for the two of them to distinguish the strong bond they shared as either friendship or love.  Maybe it was a platonic love.

No!  It couldn't be!

Could it?

What would you do?
What would you do if I followed you?
What would you do... if I follow?

The common bonds that they shared were the wars, their fight for peace, and how infatuated they were with each other.  Both of them crossed great distances jus to be there for the other.

Relena followed Heero around St. Gabriel's school, she followed him to the military base, and she even followed him all the way to Antarctica.

As for Heero, he went from space to the Earth for her, he tried to rescue her on the Libra and during the Mariemaia coup, and he even watched over her for a time after that debacle.

Don't turn away, what are you looking at?
He was so happy on the day that he met her.

Now, there was nothing to keep them apart.  Nothing at all.  No idealistic dictator, no weapons operations, no military coups or terrorist groups to stop them.

Of course the contentment of being together to see the fruits of their labour was wonderful and beautiful and nice, but it soon got boring.

Despite that, they held on to each other, thinking it was for the best.  Thinking that if the other one was happy, they were happy.

Say, what are you looking at?
I was a superman but looks are deceiving.

The had borrowed from each others' strengths and both of them were strong now.  They could survive as individuals now, not as a couple.

Still, they held on to each other.  Trying to be brave for the other.

"How can I go on like this?!" they both thought underneath the surface of their picture perfect image.

Heero felt Relena shift from under him and stop their leisurely pace.

"What did you stop for?" asked Heero.

"I'm warm now," Relena replied.

Heero gladly unraveled his arms from her.  "Would you like to hold my hand then?"

"No, thank you."

Side-by-side, they stepped a little bit farther before they stopped again.  This time, in front of a fork in the road.  Heero waited for which direction they would go, but Relena just stood beside him, staring straight ahead.

"What's wrong this time?" Heero asked tersely.

"We're at a crossroads."

"I can see that.  We'll go right.  And if not, we can always go back and go left."

"Can't we just split up and meet again?"

"You always wanted me to go with you.  Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong.  I just want to walk alone."

He only stared at her.

"I'll be fine.  I promise."

Both of them shared a knowing nod and went off in opposite directions, in more ways than one.

The roller coaster ride's a lonely one.
I'd pay a ransom note to stop it from steering.

On a park bench was a lone figure.  He was dressed in black and a long chestnut braid fell behind him.  He watched the two walking away, each taking the alternate path.

Duo wondered if now he could finally get his chance.  Relena wouldn't get in his way, he could now tell Heero how he felt.  And he hoped that he felt the same way too.

In his eagerness, he got up from the bench and ran up to his old friend, calling out to him and waving.

He stopped walking and waited for Duo to catch up.  When the braided boy was finally alongside him, he greeted him.

"Hello Duo.  It's been a long time."

"Yeah, well, I was just in the neighbourhood."

"Can you just leave me alone?"

"Hey, you look like you could use some company.  Let me tag along."

Heero only gave a small "Hn," acknowledging that Duo could walk with him.

After a while of silence, Duo's face turned solemn.

"So, why aren't you with Relena?  Aren't you two head over heels in love?" he said seriously.

Hey, what are you looking at?
She was a teenage girl when she met me.

Heero stopped and turned around to face Duo.  He searched Duo's face and found only concern.  Sighing, he prepared an answer.

"No.  We *were* head over heels in love.  Like a bunch of crazy teenagers.  But we're not anymore."

Then he continued walking at a quicker pace.  Duo jogged along side Heero to keep up with his stride.

The girl got reasons.
They all got reasons.

Heero tucked his hands into his jacket's pockets.  "I don't know why she doesn't feel this way.  There's got to be something that I can do make it up to her."

"Maybe there's a reason this is happening.  There's something that someone up there is trying to tell you two.  God works in mysterious ways.  There's a reason behind everything that happens, no matter how big or small it may seem to you."

"Everyone always has a reason," Heero said bitterly.

What would you do?
What would you do if I followed you?
What would you do... if I follow?

Duo took a deep breath and exhaled loudly.  His hands trembled and sweated, and with the chilly fall air blowing around him, those very hands felt like ice.

It was now or never.

"Heero, I'm going to be honest.  We didn't meet by coincidence.  I was watching you.  I saw you and Relena break up."

They stopped walking again.

"You what?" he asked quietly.  "The reason that you're with me is to rub this in my face, right?  This is why you're walking with me?"

"No, it's not.  Look, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have done that.  But I was waiting."

"Waiting for what?  I might not have the patience to deal with you right now."

"Waiting for a chance to tell you that..."

"That you what?"

"That... I... love you."

Heero couldn't believe what his one of his best friends was saying.  "You... You love me?"

Duo nodded and unexpectedly pulled Heero into a comforting hug.

Heero didn't know why, but this just felt so right.  So good.  And he didn't feel like he was betraying her at all.

What would you do?
What would you do if I followed you?
What would you do... if I follow?

"It looks like he loves you a lot more than I do," said a new voice.

Both boys parted their embrace and turned their heads to see Relena standing a few paces behind them.

"Relena, I'm sorry," apologized Duo.

She strode up to him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder.  "Don't be.  I should be sorry.  Heero, I was worried about you, so I wanted to catch up to you.  But seeing this, I think that it's time I let go.  I don't want to be selfish."

At that moment, it seemed that a great weight was lifted off of them, and the clouds parted and the sun shone on all of them.  It was a sign.

Hey, what are you looking at?
She was a happy girl the day that she left me...
The day that she left me...
The day that she left me...

Heero looked unsurely at Relena.  "Are you sure you want this?"

She took her other hand and laid it on his shoulder.  "I'm sure that I want this.  The question is if *you* want this."

"But-"

"No buts.  You know that we were both miserable together."

"So you never really loved me."

"I love you Heero.  But not like that."

"I guess I've loved you.  As a friend."

"So what do you say?  You're being given a chance to find true love, with someone who you'll most likely find it with."

Heero looked back at Duo and back at Relena.  Their faces were expectant and willing to be happy for him no matter what he chose.

She was a happy girl the day that she left me...
The day that she left me...
The day that she left me...

Heero picked Relena's hand off his shoulder and clasped it in both his hands.  "What should I do?  It's just that... I don't know."

"You're wondering if we're breaking up."

"Yes."

"We are breaking up."

"Is it good-bye?"

"I don't know."

"Then I'll see you later."

"I'll see both of you soon.  And good luck."

"Thank you," was the last thing that both boys said.

Arm in arm, they walked out of the park, with the scenery looking like it came out of some clichéd, though breathtaking, painting about sunlit strolls through the park.

She was a sour girl the day that she met me...

As soon as the new couple disappeared over the horizon, the sky went back to it's dreary cloudiness.

Relena looked around her, seeing how alone she was.  She looked up pleadingly to the sky, hoping that she may find someone to make her as happy as those two who just left her.

And as if some deity were giving her divine assurance, a ray of light was cast down on her, lighting her path.

Smiling, Relena made her way back home.


Sour Girl (VidFic)

[The music starts with an unhappy looking Heero and Relena, enfolded in each other's arms, walking through a park, which is shown in a film noir style.  It's all in black and white and very dull looking.]

[In a large tree, on the side of the path that Relena and Heero are walking on, is Duo.  He is hanging lazily on the limbs of the tree.  As the couple passes by, Relena turns her head to gaze at him.]

Heero:  She turned away, what was she looking at?  She was a sour girl the day that she met me.  Hey, what are you looking at?  She was a happy girl the day that she left me.

[The curious couple strays off the path and begin to slowly circle the tree at a distance.  Relena gazes at it, spellbound.  She shrugs off Heero's arms and slowly gets closer to the Gundam boy tree.  Very happy looking Duo looks down at Heero.  As soon as Relena parts from Heero, it seems like the sun comes out from the clouds and the whole park brightens up.]

Heero:  She turned away, what was she looking at?  She was a sour girl the day that she met me.  Hey, what are you looking at?  She was a happy girl when she left me.

[Heero goes up to Relena and pulls her away from the tree.  As soon as she disconnects, the park becomes dull again.  He takes her in his arms and they begin to slow dance under the shade of the large tree.]

Heero:  What would you do?  What would you do if I followed you?  What would you do... if I follow?

[They continue to slow dance a little more, but then he drops her on the ground, limp.  It's still dreary.  Her eyes are fixed on Heero as he turns away from her body.  Her lips slowly move to mouth the lyrics.]

Relena:  Don't turn away, what are you looking at?  He was so happy on the day that he met her.

[He begins to walk away, but pauses.  Heero glances back to find Relena watching at him eerily.]

Heero:  Say, what are you looking at?  I was a superman but looks are deceiving.

[He looks up to see Duo still smiling and looking down at him.]

Duo:  The roller coaster ride's a lonely one.  I'd pay a ransom note to stop it from steering.

Heero:  Hey, what are you looking at?  She was a teenage girl when she met me.

Duo:  What would you do?  What would you do if I followed you?  What would you do... if I follow?

[The two boys look down at Relena's body lying in the greyish green grass.]

Relena:  What would you do?  What would you do if I followed you?  What would you do... if I follow?

[During the musical break, Heero drags Relena's limp body and props it up against the tree trunk.  The park brightens up once again.  He steps away from her.  Duo hops out of the tree and lands beside Heero, who is looking down on Relena.]

Heero:  The girl got reasons.  They all got reasons.

[Duo then takes Heero into his arms and they begin to dance together.  As they dance, they whisper in each other's ears.  The sun continues to shine happily on them.]

Duo:  What would you do?  What would you do if I followed you?  What would you do... if I follow?

Heero:  What would you do?  What would you do if I followed you?  What would you do... if I follow?

[The boys stop dancing and look back at Relena, who now has a serene smile on her face.  The new couple begins to walk away together, with the park still bathed in sunlight.]

Heero:  Hey, what are you looking at?  She was a happy girl the day that she left me... the day that she left me... the day that she left me...

Duo:  She was a happy girl the day that she left me... the day that she left me... the day that she left me...

[As the music begins to fade away, as soon as the boys leave, the park becomes dull again, and but with only a single ray of sunshine cast on Relena's body.]

Relena:  She was a sour girl the day that she met me...

The End

Additional Author's Notes: I hope that the songfic gave you some insight as to what the vidfic is about.  Sorry if the vidfic itself seemed kinda weird.  But that was how the original video was, so I hope that you can let it slide.  So review, review, review!