Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z or its characters.  They respectfully belong to Mr. Akira Toriyama.  I also don't own ABBA's music, it belongs to the songwriters: Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus, and Stig Anderson; and its singers: Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Agnetha Fältskog.

Author's Notes: I know, I know.  I still haven't put Goku and Chi-Chi back together yet.  Please!  Hold your torches!  As a proverb once said, "It is easier to scatter than to gather."  I think they tarred and feathered that guy.  But anyhoo, it's really hard for me to concentrate any fanfic when I have to choose a high school, maintain a web-page, maintain my grades, and keep up my piano practice!  This takes place after "Knowing Me, Knowing You".  I just hope that this little fic will tide you guys over for the next little while.

One of Us

Chi-Chi stayed at home, gathering some of Goku's things.  He would soon come by to pick them up.  She sighed as she rifled through the contents in the large box.

It had been days since she filed the papers.  Those few days had both given them time to clear their heads, but now, they just needed to be apart.  Gohan and Goten reacted angrily at first when they heard the news, but had kept hope when they found out that it wasn't a divorce.

She looked out the window and saw a capsule car approach the house.  She opened the door to see Goku coming her way.  He looked nervously at her.

"Uh, hi," was all he said.

Chi-Chi held out the box in front of her.  "Here are your things.  I'll keep an empty space, just in case I have to put those back."  She chuckled lightly.

He took the box and smiled.  "Don't worry.  Bulma won't be kicking me out the house anytime soon."  He glanced back at the car's driver, Bulma.  Chi-Chi then looked downcast.  "Hey, I didn't mean it that way.  Sorry."

"It's okay."

"Could you wait for a moment?" asked Goku.  She nodded yes in response.  Goku went back to the capsule car, put the box in the back, and took an smaller package in exchange.

"What do have there?" Chi-Chi asked, her interest piqued.  Goku just grinned mischievously.  Just like old times.  He handed her the package and waited for her to open it.

Chi-Chi gasped at the contents inside.  It was all seven of the dragon balls!  "Why, Goku?"

"It's just a little gift from me to tell you, no hard feelings, okay?  I may not be your husband now, but I still want to be your friend."

They both hugged, and then Goku left in the capsule car for his new, and hopefully, temporary living quarters.

Chi-Chi blinked back tears as she saw him leave.  She then looked down at the seven orange orbs in the box in her hands.  They glinted in the sunlight.


"Hey mom," said Goten as he poked his head into the kitchen.  "I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to go out with Trunks."  He saw her tidying up the place, even though it was already clean.

"Go ahead.  Just remember, you have a curfew," Chi-Chi replied.  She dusted off the counter for what would have been the umpteenth time.

"Okay.  See ya."  Just remember, it's not a permanent thing, Goten reminded himself.  Mom and dad will get back together.  They always have.  He sighed as he walked out of the house.


Why did I have to be alone tonight? Chi-Chi asked herself.  She walked down the empty and dark halls of her home.

I've been alone before, but why does it hurt so much? She thought for a moment until she found the answer.  It's because I don't know if we will be back together this time.

She sighed as she went to the bedroom, still dwelling on the revelation.  Sure, she knew Goku would come back after the first time he was killed, and then, even when he trained for the arrival of the androids, he would come back to her.  And even during the second time he died, he returned, and she was there with open arms.  But now, she pushed him away.  Would he come back?

Chi-Chi lay on her side of the bed, and her arm reached out to touch the empty space beside her.  The silence in the house seemed to intensify the moment.

She rolled over and adjusted the setting on the radio clock that was set on the nightstand.

She lay flat on her back as the music filled the room.


It seemed that everyone had plans.  Trunks and Bra were both going out with friends, and Vegeta and Bulma were going off to have dinner at some fancy restaurant.

Goku was all by himself.  His temporary living space was a capsule home set up in Bulma's back yard.

At least I'm close to the Gravity Room, Goku thought.  He looked around the boxes in his hallway.  Better get unpacking.

"I guess I can work to the beat," he said as he pulled out a little radio and turned it on.


"It's 'Nostalgia Nite' on StarO2Q AM radio.  Here's a little bit of easy listening from the seventies."

An introduction like the night air started.  And followed by it was the musical mourning of a woman.  Then it changed into a beat.

"They passed me by, all of those great romances.
 You were, I felt, robbing me of my rightful chances.
 My picture clear, everything seemed so easy,
 And so I dealt you the blow,
 One of us had to go.
 Now it's different, I want you to know:

"One of us is crying,
 One of us is lying,
 In her lonely bed.
 Staring at the ceiling,
 Wishing she was somewhere else instead.
 One of us is lonely,
 One of us is only
 Waiting for a call.
 Sorry for herself, feeling stupid, feeling small,
 Wishing she had never left at all..."

"I saw myself as a concealed attraction.
 I felt you kept me away from the heat and the action.
 Just like a child, stubborn and misconceiving,
 That's how I started the show,
 One of us had to go.
 Now I've changed and I want you to know:

"One of us is crying,
 One of us is lying,
 In her lonely bed.
 Staring at the ceiling,
 Wishing she was somewhere else instead.
 One of us is lonely,
 One of us is only
 Waiting for a call.
 Sorry for herself, feeling stupid, feeling small,
 Wishing she had never left at all...
 Never left at all...

"Staring at the ceiling,
 Wishing she was somewhere else instead.
 One of us is lonely,
 One of us is only
 Waiting for a call..."

The chorus faded off into the night.


Goku looked around the room.  He still didn't open a single box.

"I was acting like a child..." he muttered to himself as he decided to get to work.  "I wonder if Chi-Chi feels the same way too.

"If only she would tell me," he added as he carried a box to his bedroom.


Chi-Chi stared at the ceiling.  She wiped the tears from her eyes and turned off the radio.

"I wonder if I should make a call."  She reached for the phone, but stopped short.  "He's probably asleep by now."

She pulled the covers over her and curled up into a ball.

"One of us..." Chi-Chi mumbled before falling asleep.

The End

Additional Author's Notes: Sorry to leave you guys hanging till the end.  But I swear, I will get on to that reunion part.  That's what the dragon balls are for. ^_~* And sorry about the ABBA.  They really were a good group!  Too bad they broke up, and too too bad that they refused, *puts pinky to corner of mouth* "ONE BILLION DOLLARS!" to go back on a reunion tour.  Anyhoo, tell me what you think, and if you want to, give me some ideas on how to get them back together.