Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or its characters.  The song "Everybody Wants to Be Like You" is by Mr. Informer himself: Snow.

Author's Notes: This song is perfect for Relena, so if you like some Relena angst, this vid-fic is for you!  Some of the Gundam gang make a cameo, and there's a little 3x4, Dou/Hilde, and a few other pairings in here, but this is kinda Relena+Heero, so if you don't like it, this is your final warning.

Everybody Wants to Be Like You

As the music starts, Relena is being driven from her black limousine up to her estate.  She then gets out and walks up the steps to grand double doors.

Girl comes home and checks her phone.
She fools herself but she's not alone.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Relena enters the main hall of a dark and empty mansion after a hard day of work.  She checks her answering machine for messages, which only has one.  And it's an invitation to a ball that very night.

When it all boils down and all this ends,
You turn around and you got no friends.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Relena rubs the bridge of her nose with her thumb and forefinger.  Then she starts looking around the spacious house and then sighing, goes to her room, sets her brief case on her bed, and starts to change for tonight's party.

I would really hate to be her,
Seems they love her when they see her.

Relena then smiles politely as she enters a red carpet laden hall and is swarmed by many admirers and politicians.  They talk to her enthusiastically and smile, nod, and laugh at whatever she says.

When she's gone
She just don't know what they say.

She curtsies and walks further down the hall.  The people who she had previously talked to start to glance at her and whisper derisively.

She inherited the drama,
It was passed down from her mama,
And her daddy, he would only drink wine.

Relena passes a portrait of her mother, the Queen of the Sank Kingdom, who seems to be looking down on her with sad eyes.  She then looks across the hall to see an old photo of her father raising a glass of wine as a toast to peace.

Only if she came around...
But she's slowly goin' down.

Relena twirls away from the picture of the past.  She enters the posh ball room and walks down the stairs.

Girl comes home and checks her phone.
She fools herself but she's not alone.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Relena bows at the people she passes and walks towards the head table to greet Marquis Weridge.  She thanks him and sits on the far end of the table.

When it all boils down and all this ends,
You turn around and you got no friends.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Throughout the dinner, Relena sits bored as her groupies start to chat away while she gives bored smiles and nods.  She then glances away for a moment and returns her attention to the groupies, but they've gone to chat up another young and handsome politician.  She starts to scan the room, thinking she saw one of the Gundam pilots, so she gets up and starts to wander across the ball room.

Looked a whole lot older,
Yet nobody ever told her.
You would never know that she was sixteen.

As Relena glides elegantly and shyly around the room, some older people flatter her and bow respectfully to her, like she was one of them.  Some comment on how she resembles her mother.

And as far as I remember,
She was standing on the corner,
Just the type that loved to be on the scene.

From behind a pillar, Heero watches out to see Relena surrounded by the old nobles and how she smiles and mingles around the important people.

Only if she came around...
But she's slowly goin' down.

He smiles a little bit, but then frowns, and he slips back into the shadows.

Girl comes home and checks her phone.
She fools herself but she's not alone.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Quatre comes into the party, with Trowa in tow.  Both of them greet Relena, while Quatre then starts to strike a conversation on pacifism and politics.

When it all boils down and all this ends,
You turn around and you got no friends.
But everybody wants to be like you.

Trowa then drags Quatre away to the dance floor, revealing Dorothy who was standing behind them.  She smirks evilly, then starts to praise "Relena-sama".

And if you want it, and you need it,
Then you want it, go out and get it.
But you don't have the faith, Lord.

Wufei is brooding at his table while Sally is talking to Noin and Lady Une in the background.  He looks up to see the miserable Relena, so he stands up, stomps over to Relena, and grabs her by the arm, leading her away from Dorothy.

When it all boils down and all this ends,
You turn around and you got no friends.
But everybody wants to be like you.

When they're both far enough away from the blonde, Relena tries to thank Wufei, but she sees him retreating back into the crowd.

Them I say, them I know,
Without you they will go.
When you call them up,
You know they won't show.
Cause... but everybody wants to be like you.

Just as she is ready to go after Wufei, she is jostled from behind.  She looks back up, but doesn't see him anymore.  She is about to call out his name, but Duo pops up into her field of vision.  Surprised, she hugs her old friend and they laugh.

When you're all alone and thinking at home,
And you have no one to call them your own, Lord,
But everybody wants to be like you.

He smiles at her, then points to Hilde, who is looking around the crowd for Duo.  He gives Relena a peck on the cheek and bounds off toward his business partner, leaving the Vice Foreign Minister alone again.

And if you want it, and you need it,
Then you want it, go out and get it.
But you don't have the faith, Lord.
 

Heero looks past the moving bodies to see the downcast Relena.  He hesitates before he starts to push his way through to go up to her.

And if you want it, and you need it,
Then you want it, go out and get it.
But you don't have the faith, Lord.
 

Relena gasps as she feels someone pull her into an embrace.  She looks up into Heero's stoic face looking down at her.  They wander around until they go out onto the balcony and just stare into the night sky together as the music fades away.

The End

Additional Author's Notes: What did you think?  This is my first Gundam Wing fanfic, and it had to be a vidfic, so please review and tell me what you thought about it!